Re: Why is it not using the other processor? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: Why is it not using the other processor?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ryan Mahoney <ryan@paymentalliance.net> writes:
> > Re: killing a process from browser, I don't think what you're trying to do
> > is really possible.
>
> If the client-side code were programmed to send a Cancel request to the
> backend when the user loses interest, then the right things would
> happen.  I am not sure how practical that is though; does the web server
> even find out about it when the user presses Stop in a typical browser?
> (If not, you can hardly expect Postgres to somehow intuit what happened
> two protocols away ;-).)

Webserver definitely finds out. (Socket gets closed by client). The real
question is, how does webserver signal this fact to a
CGI/mod_perl/jsp/whatever web application. For CGI, _i believe_ the
standard is that webserver will SIGHUP the application, and app can do
whatever cleanup it needs. For other interfaces, I really don't know.

-alex