optimizer hints? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject optimizer hints?
Date
List pgsql-general
Are there any plans to implement some way to force optimizer to decide on
index scan vs table scan _for a specific table_, and to tell optimizer to
use a particular index when operating on a table?

"set seqscan to 'f'" just doesn't do it for me, as I need seqscan in one
case and indexscan in another case inside same query.

Any chance we could have something like
select * from foo(bar), baz(0)

(Where bar is an index on foo, and 0 means don't use any indices.)

I realize the syntax may need to get tweaked a bit, to avoid confusion
with future functions-returning-rels...

Thanks
-alex