Re: Oracle to POSTGRESQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: Oracle to POSTGRESQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Jono wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have been developing a web application using an Oracle database on the backend, and Java beans and JSP for the
front-end.

> At a late stage in the project I have been asked to look into the viability of
> hosting the application with postgreSQL as the backend database.
>
> Now my major concern is that we developed a whole bunch of scripts for
> table definitions, triggers, sequences and Stored Procedures using
> Oracle standard PLSQL and datatypes.

> Should I decide to change to PostGRESQL, what course of action would
> you recommend I take?
Depending on amount of code (1000 lines vs 100000 lines), you should start
either converting it to plpgsql, or hiring someone to enhance plpgsql to
be more like pgsql ;)

In general, for reasonable sizes of code, I wouldn't expect major
problems, mostly dealing with syntactic differences. If you are using
advanced plsql stuff, like exceptions, DBMS_ builtin packages, or rely on
oracle's system catalogs, you'll have to rewrite that...And with
exceptions, you'll need to rethink it too :(

 -alex