Re: PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brew@theMode.com
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general
Bret.....

> The MySQL certifications, are international skillset certifications,
> like MCAD, MCSD, MCSE, RHCE, and LPI certifications, and, from what I
> understand, similarly, internationally recognised.

In my experience these have less to do with being proficient at a
disipline and more to do with marketing (of the individual holding the
certificate and of the application).  The people here are more doers than
marketers.

That being said, PostgreSQL could sure use some more marketing.

> My wife is a software developer, by profession. She also trains people,
> and has trained lecturers, in some of the development software in which
> she develops.

Sounds like there is room for YOU and your wife could get involved in
setting up and administering some kind of PorstgreSQL certification
program!  I have no idea if this would be feasible in the PostgreSQL
community or not, and I've read here that Red Hat is doing just that with
their dialect of the PostgreSQL server (maybe somebody else can
elaborate).

As far as books, I just know returned a book to the library, 'Learn SQL
in 14 days' or something similiar (sorry, don't remember the author)
and the concepts presented there (which includes triggers and
procedures, etc.) are transferrable to any SQL database.

There are some good PostgreSQL specific books, too (including Bruce
Momjian's).  If you think there is a need for a basic starter's guide to
PostgreSQL you might put one together and offer it (for money, or
otherwise!).

You are right in that PostgreSQL could benefit from more marketing.

The world is your oyster!

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
     Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
                        http://www.TheMode.com