Re: Performance monitor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Performance monitor
Date
Re: Performance monitor  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have started coding a PostgreSQL performance monitor.  It will be like
> top, but allow you to click on a backend to see additional information.
>
> It will be written in Tcl/Tk.  I may ask to add something to 7.1 so when
> a backend receives a special signal, it dumps a file in /tmp with some
> backend status.  It would be done similar to how we handle Cancel
> signals.
>
> How do people feel about adding a single handler to 7.1?  Is it
> something I can slip into the current CVS, or will it have to exist as a
> patch to 7.1.  Seems it would be pretty isolated unless someone sends
> the signal, but it is clearly a feature addition.

Totally dead set against it ...

... the only hold up on RC1 right now was awaiting Vadim getting back so
that he and Tom could work out the WAL related issues ... adding a new
signal handler *definitely* counts as "adding a new feature" ...