Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> I don't think the *BSD's have intentionally tried any such thing.  You
> could possibly have picked up these vibes from certain members of the Open
> BSD camp, but I wouldn't extend them to encompass the *BSD community at
> large.  (And I wonder if I should comment about how Linux people are
> migrating to the *BSD camps in droves....  But I guess it'd be best to just
> let it slide ;-o)

There are alot of us that are finding that...one of my colleagues comments
to friends that ask him about Linux that "he's matured"...Linux, IMHO, is
the biggest thing that has happened to the "Unix Environment"...but as
Linux increases his market share in leaps and bounds, its also making it
easier for those of us using *BSDs to slip it into our work environments
(I've so far succeeded in migrating 3 co-workers from MicroSoft ->
FreeBSD) ...

I don't really care what OS someone runs, as anyone that has been here for
a long time already knows .. the Linux "fanatics" are just soooo much
easier to pick on, that's all :)

> The primary "feature" that has me looking at pgsql again is the
> license.  I like MySQL.  The MySQL community is great.  I don't like
> their license, however, and feel pretty strongly about it.  I would
> counsel against developing your own.  Why reinvent the wheel unless
> you've got some special agenda that requires it?  I prefer the more
> liberal BSD, but GPL is fine.

I'm against any change in license, except for the upcoming extension of
hte copyright dates to include our work (one of my projects for the new
year)...PostgreSQL will always be open source...BSD vs GPL doesn't change
that...Postgres is a BSD project that we, as a community, have extended to
where it is now...as long as there are ppl developing on it, the source
will always be available too, and I really can't see development really
ever stopping (too many ppl are having too much fun)...

The BSD license has served us perfectly for the past 4+ years, and I
haven't heard, over those years, any argument to the effect that it won't
continue to serve us perfectly for the next 4+ years...

> once again.  The *perception* remains, however, that pgsql still
> leaves a bit to be desired in the areas of reliability and
> maintainability.  This needs to be remedied.  Like I said, progress
> has been mad, but it appears pgsql isn't quite out of the woods yet.

I keep hearing the old "reliability" argument...there are alot of us using
PostgreSQL for "mission critical" apps, and haven't seen these
problems.  Can you provide more details on this?  I'm not doubting that
you are hitting a "little known bug" that makes PostgreSQL unreliable for
you, but without details, we have no way of diagnosing and improving it...