Re: Re: select distinct - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Re: select distinct
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> Never mind.  I figure out that what
> I am asking is not possible

If you're willing to use a postgres extension, you
can do (this is the 7.1 syntax, you can do it on
at least 7.0, but it's a little different):
select distinct on (i) i,a from a where c=2;
(Warning: without an order by, this statement
is not guaranteed to give the same results twice
for the same dataset)

If you know you always want a minimum/maximum a
for each i (if there is more than one a per i),
you can probably do this more standardly with
group by, something like:
select i, min(a) from a where c=2 group by i;