Re: Alternative new libpq interface. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Alternative new libpq interface.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> --
>
> > My gut feeling about this is that if a complete rewrite is being
> > considered, it ought to be done as a new interface library that's
> > independent of libpq.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of massaging the current libpq to
> support the new interface/features rather than starting with a blank
> slate. As you say libpq is well debugged and there are a lot of fine
> details in there I don't want to mess with.
>
> My aims are to get the OO features and streaming behaviour working with
> a hopefully stable interface.
>
> Does that affect your gut feeling? Your error observations are
> significant and I think they dismiss my 1st suggestion. That leaves the
> possibilities of the whole new interface versus massaging the current
> interface with streaming/grouping APIs.

cp -rp libpq libpg;cvs add libpg?

if nothing else, it would give a template to build from without risking
problems to current apps using libpq ... I'm not 100% certain that I'm
reading Tom correct, but by 'independent of libpq', I'm taking it that
libpg wouldn't need libpq to compile ... ?