Re: Alternative new libpq interface. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Bitmead
Subject Re: Alternative new libpq interface.
Date
Re: Alternative new libpq interface.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
--

> My gut feeling about this is that if a complete rewrite is being
> considered, it ought to be done as a new interface library that's
> independent of libpq.

I was thinking more along the lines of massaging the current libpq to
support the new interface/features rather than starting with a blank
slate. As you say libpq is well debugged and there are a lot of fine
details in there I don't want to mess with.

My aims are to get the OO features and streaming behaviour working with
a hopefully stable interface.

Does that affect your gut feeling? Your error observations are
significant and I think they dismiss my 1st suggestion. That leaves the
possibilities of the whole new interface versus massaging the current
interface with streaming/grouping APIs.