Re: Great, big errors ... Again. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Great, big errors ... Again.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> Ok, it appears the database backend is being stupid again, I'm getting all
> kinds of errors.
>
> >From my PHP code, I'm getting this kind of error now:
>

> heap_beginscan:
> !RelationIsValid(relation) in classes/db_pgsql.inc on line 63
> Database error: Invalid SQL: select
> user_id_hash,session_id,user_id,agency_id,date_part('epoch',created) as
> start,date_part('epoch',updated) as age from users_online where
> user_id_hash='9de5085eac89de8be0169b6dc6801524'
> PostgreSQL Error: 1 (ERROR: heap_beginscan: !RelationIsValid(relation) )
> Session halted
>
> I got "Sorry, too many clients already" -- a little while ago..
>
> I'm running at debug level 3, but have nothing to show for it in the log
> file except this :
>
> NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>         The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
> abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>         I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate
> your database system connection and exit.
>         Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: sending SIGUSR1 to process
> 44639
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: reinitializing shared memory
> and semaphores
> shmem_exit(0) [#0]
>
> So.. Now that I've got it to break, any ideas on what I can do to figure out
> why it's happening?  This is still a 6.5.3 server.. (I weas going to upgrade
> today believe it or not.)

My suggestions at this time, with v7.0 relesed (and assuming you aren't
using ident?) is to get the upgrade over and done with, so that we can
debug that.  Its hard to spend the resources on debugging v6.5.3 when
a) you are planning on upgrading anyway and b) it might already be fixed
in v7.0 :(

At least if you can generate the errors with v7.0, its fresh in ppls minds

Systems Administrator @ hub.org