Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > the only group that is in pg_group is:
>
> > template1=> select * from pg_group;
> > groname      |grosysid|grolist
> > -------------+--------+--------------
> > trends_acctng|       0|{70,1007,1008}
> > (1 row)
>
> > and it was added ~2 weeks ago ...
>
> > i tried deleting and re-adding it this morning, now it says (1 of 2) vs (0
> > of 1) ...
>
> Hmm, that's what I was going to suggest doing.  I think there must be a
> dead tuple in pg_group that VACUUM doesn't want to clean out for some
> reason --- maybe it thinks there is still an open transaction somewhere
> that could see the tuple as still live?  Odd.
>
> Did you try doing a vacuum of pg_group in between deleting and re-adding
> the one valid group?

Hadn't thought of that ... but ... and you aren't going to like this
... if I delete/vacuum/insert/vacuum ... INDEX TUPLES increases by 1, HEAP
increases by one ... I'm up to 3->4 now, and would go 4->5 if I were to do
it again ...

> > I had a server lock up the other day running an RC2 code base, which a
> > 'truss -p' on postmaster produced nothing ... I did a kill on the server,
> > upgraded to the latest code and restarted it, after which this problem
> > occur'd ...
>
> Wish you'd taken more careful notes when that happened.  What do you
> mean by lock up, exactly?  Do you know what it was doing just
> beforehand?

Don't know ... one of hte problems I'm having with my FreeBSD machine
right now is that, for some reason, setproctitle() isn't working, so all
my backends look the same 'postmaster' and its start up options :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org