Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> the only group that is in pg_group is:

> template1=> select * from pg_group;
> groname      |grosysid|grolist
> -------------+--------+--------------
> trends_acctng|       0|{70,1007,1008}
> (1 row)

> and it was added ~2 weeks ago ...

> i tried deleting and re-adding it this morning, now it says (1 of 2) vs (0
> of 1) ...

Hmm, that's what I was going to suggest doing.  I think there must be a
dead tuple in pg_group that VACUUM doesn't want to clean out for some
reason --- maybe it thinks there is still an open transaction somewhere
that could see the tuple as still live?  Odd.

Did you try doing a vacuum of pg_group in between deleting and re-adding
the one valid group?

> I had a server lock up the other day running an RC2 code base, which a
> 'truss -p' on postmaster produced nothing ... I did a kill on the server,
> upgraded to the latest code and restarted it, after which this problem
> occur'd ...

Wish you'd taken more careful notes when that happened.  What do you
mean by lock up, exactly?  Do you know what it was doing just
beforehand?