Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> Ok, the production server is a Celeron 433, 512 MEgs of PC100 ECC RAM, 2 18
> Gig Ultra 160 SCSI drives (only running at 80 megs since we dono't have a
> 64-bit PCI slot).
>
> There is a big upgrade planned for this box when the motherboard we're
> waiting for comes out..
>
> The development server is a PII450, 128 Megs of RAM and Ultra 2 SCSI
> drives.. However it's running several other things other than the database
> and webserver so it has a small load.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but the more powerful CPU is in your
development server?

My understanding is that a Celeron is a chop'd up PII ... my first
recommendation here is that if you are running a *server*, get rid of that
Celeron ... from what I've been told about the difference, Celeron is a
great, cheap chip for using in a desktop environment (its what I use at
home), but shy away from it in a server environment, as the speed
reduction of the reduced cache alone will hurt things ...