Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Luuk...
I brought this up with the -hackers list, and, in generally, it
appears to be felt that the query, which you use in the crashme test to
test HAVING, isn't necessarily valid ...
Basically:
select a from test group by a having a > 0;
could be more efficiently written as:
select a from test where a > 0 group by a;
I'm personally curious, though...how does Oracle/Informix and
other RDBMS systems handle this?  Do they let it pass, or do they give an
error also?
I think the general concensus, at this time, is to change the
ERROR to a NOTICE, with a comment that using a WHERE would be more
efficient then the HAVING...and, unless someone can come up with an
instance that would make sense (ie. why you'd do it with HAVING vs WHERE),
I'm in agreement with them...
Since we obviously do support HAVING, and, I believe, follow the
SQL92 spec on it, is there any way of getting the crashme test fixed to
not use the above query as a basis for whether an RDBMS supports HAVING or
not?

thanks...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org