can't seem to use index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From admin
Subject can't seem to use index
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm trying to use an index on a varchar(32) field, but explain keeps
retuning a sequential scan. This is my table and index:

CREATE TABLE manufacturer ( id int2, name varchar(32)
);

CREATE INDEX manu_name_idx ON "manufacturer" using btree ( "name"
"text_ops" );

Both my table and index have been created successfully, and the database
has been vacuumed. Then I run the following query from the psql
command-line:
explain select * from manufacturer where name='3COM';

... and I get a sequential scan! What gives?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Marc