Re: [SQL] Serial field starting at 100 ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Walker
Subject Re: [SQL] Serial field starting at 100 ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks for your reply,
however the syntax

>create sequence fish_seq start 100;
>
>create table fish(
>     fishID int default nextval('fDish_seq') not null,
>     fishName varchar(32) not null
>);

is exactly the same as this code that I'm currently using
in Postgres:

> > CREATE TABLE fish (
> >     fishID INT4 SERIAL
> >     fishName VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL
> > );
> >
> > SELECT setval('fish_fishID_seq',99);

except that the two sections are switched.
I would have thought that it would have been possible to set the
start value within the "CREATE TABLE" so I don't have to stuff
around in some separate clause using a sequence name that will
never be explicitly used anywhere else in the code.

Perhaps this is something that is intended for an upcoming version
of Postgres.