RE: [INTERFACES] ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] ODBC
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Peter Harvey wrote:

> > Byron is the keeper of the ODBC code, and in fact does his work
> > outside of the Postgres source tree since his development target is
> > WIN32. The last time I looked the unixODBC drivers were claiming alpha
> > or beta status, and it seemed a bit early to jump on integrating that
> > code base into the Postgres production tree.
>
> Clarification; some unixODBC components are Beta, a few are even Alpha, but
> most is Beta... including the PostgreSQL driver. Remember; the PostgreSQL
> driver in unixODBC is Byrons driver with some enhancements.
>

> > I support your goal of avoiding a code fork, but imho you will need to
> > do a bit of work to: 1) send your changes, rather than sending a URL;
> > 2) explain your changes if they are not small, self-evident patches;
> > 3) work with Byron to ensure that the changes are compatible with his
> > code and the direction it is taking.
>
> Ok. I will email a gz file with all changes and an explanation (to Thomas).
> Please take the time to apply the changes. These changes are mostly for
> making PostgreSQL work with StarOffice.

*scratch head*  the proper method of submitting *any* changes is to send a
patch file to the maintainer of that area of the code, in this
case...Byron, not Thomas.  Thomas is involved in *alot* of things, whereas
Byron is dedicated to the ODBC code...

Even better is to send a copy of the patch to pgsql-patches *and* the
maintainer, just in case the maintainer is away ...

Note that a .gz file (assuming its a replacement of files, vs just a
compressed patch) is, IMHO, *not* acceptable, since it becomes hellish to
review before inclusion...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org