Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Julia,
>
> That was one of the biggest changes with this driver.  It no longer supports
> 16 bit windows.  All the messy Dummy Handle Lists that used to be mainted were
> eliminated and now the handle is the pointer to the structure for all the
> Statement functions.  The old driver used GlobalAlloc and GlobalLock to handle
> 16 bit because the pointer returned by malloc may be moved and is not
> sufficient to be used for a handle.  In 32 bit windows, you can safely use
> malloc.
>
> Our web site explains this.
>
> I sure hope this driver doesn't have to support 16 bit!

    Hrmmm...just curious, but how many users were lost because of
*this* decision??  Doesn't this sort of assume that *everyone* is running
Win95 or greater?

    That's sort of like saying we don't support AIX 3.5 cause AIX 4.1
is out and does things a bit cleaner/differently :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org