Re: [HACKERS] number of opened files ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom
Subject Re: [HACKERS] number of opened files ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How many files really needed for postgres ?
> On my Linux box I checked this by lsof and found 443 open files (and sockets)
> by 7 backends + 1 postmaster ?

  Postgres will keep a some files open.

> This is amazing. Do postgres really needs to keep so much open files ?

  443 is not that many.

> I use apache+mod_perl and Apache::DBI for authent./authorization
> and it's not difficult to reach file table limit when running

  Huh?  Most systems have a file table limit of several thousand.  I think
you need to check it into this.  I have a max of 2088 descriptors on most
systems here, and I double that if necessary.

> 15 httpd daemons + 15 backends. I use persistent connections,
> so backends will stay alive. A number of backends could grow if
> I use different connection string (I try to avoid this).
> This is my development computers and there are another bunch of processes
> (X, window manager etc).
>
>     Regards,
>
>      Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Tom