number of opened files ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject number of opened files ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

How many files really needed for postgres ?
On my Linux box I checked this by lsof and found 443 open files (and sockets)
by 7 backends + 1 postmaster ?
This is amazing. Do postgres really needs to keep so much open files ?
I use apache+mod_perl and Apache::DBI for authent./authorization
and it's not difficult to reach file table limit when running
15 httpd daemons + 15 backends. I use persistent connections,
so backends will stay alive. A number of backends could grow if
I use different connection string (I try to avoid this).
This is my development computers and there are another bunch of processes
(X, window manager etc).

    Regards,

     Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83