assigning values to array elements - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From J Greenbaum
Subject assigning values to array elements
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello,

I'm fairly new to postgres and I'm trying to write a PL/pgsql function and
keep getting an error message.  Here is the line that is giving me
trouble:

norm[i] := (NEW.area[i]/(A_slope * (i+18) + A_int)+NEW.area[i]/(C_slope *
(i+18) + C_int))/2;

The error message that I receive is: WARNING:  plpgsql: ERROR during
compile of norm_n_scan near line 27 ERROR:  parse error at or near "["

As you can see, I'm trying to assign a value to an array element, but it
isn't working for some reason.  FYI, "norm" is declared as a floating
point array of unlimited size.  Please let me know if you have any
suggestions.  Thanks!!

-Jay Greenbaum