Re: 7.0.2 regressions testing on Sparc running 2.5.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Re: 7.0.2 regressions testing on Sparc running 2.5.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> My bet is that you are chasing the wrong idea.
>                     I'd be looking at issues like whether you have
> things configured for dynamic shared-object linking at all.  For
> example, on HPUX it's necessary to use a special linker switch (-E,
> I think) while linking the main "postgres" executable, or else its
> global symbols won't be set up to be accessible by dynamically loaded
> objects.  Dunno if there's a similar incantation needed on your
> platform, but that seems like the sort of issue to be looking at.

I think that's it.  I did a make clean on the main makefile, and
ran make again.  This time directing all output to a file.

There are a few places where -fPIC occurs (which is part of the
shared object business).  However, doing a search about -fPIC
turned up:
Forum: comp.unix.unixware.misc
Subject: Re: building shared object with gcc/g++
Author: Casper H.S.Dik - Network Security Engineer
        <Casper.Dik@Holland.Sun.Com>

Do not use ld directly.
Do not use "gcc -G"
Use gcc -shared

You must always link with gcc, including when linking shared
libraries.

So, I guess all of my compiles aren't quite right.  Hopefully
this will fix things.  I still possibly have an issue with
Run-time link paths.  I have been adding -R /path/to/lib
but I guess the proper gcc incantation is
 -Xlinker -R -Xlinker /path/to/lib

Have a great weekend.
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca