Re: A very novice question about ascii files - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject Re: A very novice question about ascii files
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Leslie Johnson - Contractor wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is probably a very stupid question but I'm working on a really tight
> deadline and I'm very confused.

It's isn't quite verbose enough for me to give but a
start on an answer.  Someone else may have more knowledge.

>                             I've got several incredibly hefty ascii
> files that were at one point Oracle databases.  Now they're just plain
> ascii dump files and today I got asked to put them in PGSQL but I have no
> idea how (I've never even worked with databases before except for the
> offline variety.)  Can anybody please point me towards some documentation
> that would be helpful or give me some advice?

I guess you've looked a little at these files.  Do they
look like fixed format or delimited files?  I.e., is the first
field always columns 1-N, the second, N+1 to M, ...

Good luck,
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca