Re: Postgres vr.s MySQL- style differences? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lew
Subject Re: Postgres vr.s MySQL- style differences?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Remember, there are lots of ways to optimise your
> code design.  One is to design for the tools you have and know how to
> use.  If you have a bunch of developers who know Beans (sorry, I
> couldn't resist), and you have six weeks to deliver functionality
> that oughta take six months to do properly, then you just throw
> together the things you know how to do.  This makes for much less
> good code, of course, and will cost in the long run.  But for
> immediate-term problems, it might be a good trade-off.  (There are
> plenty of companies who then never do step two, which is to throw all
> that away and do the job properly.  But that's just bad management,
> and is not an argument that the original trade-off was necessarily a
> bad one.)

I completely agree.  And laugh at your pun.

My post had to do with the ideal; yours focuses on the pragmatic.

If your one-off approach employs standard patterns (like JavaBeans) and
programmers steeped in a culture of excellence, the refactoring to a
full-blown architecture is much less painful.

My own practices are slighlty schizoid - I aim for technical elegance but
frequently make compromises for expediency.

--
Lew