Re: AllocSetReset improvement - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From a_ogawa
Subject Re: AllocSetReset improvement
Date
Re: AllocSetReset improvement  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> a_ogawa <a_ogawa@hi-ho.ne.jp> writes:
> > It is a reasonable idea. However, the majority part of MemSet was not
> > able to be avoided by this idea. Because the per-tuple contexts are used
> > at the early stage of executor.
>
> Drat.  Well, what about changing that?  We could introduce additional
> contexts or change the startup behavior so that the ones that are
> frequently reset don't have any data in them unless you are working
> with pass-by-ref values inside the inner loop.

That might be possible. However, I think that we should change only
aset.c about this article.
I thought further: We can check whether context was used from the last
reset even when blocks list is not empty. Please see attached patch.

The effect of the patch that I measured is as follows:

o Execution time that executed the SQL ten times.
(1)Linux(CPU: Pentium III, Compiler option: -O2)
 - original: 24.960s
 - patched : 23.114s

(2)Linux(CPU: Pentium 4, Compiler option: -O2)
 - original: 8.730s
 - patched : 7.962s

(3)Solaris(CPU: Ultra SPARC III, Compiler option: -O2)
 - original: 37.0s
 - patched : 33.7s

regards,

---