Re: AllocSetReset improvement - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: AllocSetReset improvement
Date
List pgsql-patches
a_ogawa <a_ogawa@hi-ho.ne.jp> writes:
> It is a reasonable idea. However, the majority part of MemSet was not
> able to be avoided by this idea. Because the per-tuple contexts are used
> at the early stage of executor.

Drat.  Well, what about changing that?  We could introduce additional
contexts or change the startup behavior so that the ones that are
frequently reset don't have any data in them unless you are working
with pass-by-ref values inside the inner loop.

> I am considering another idea: I think that we can change behavior of the
> context by switching the method table of context.

That's a possible solution but it feels a bit klugy somehow.  I can't
quite articulate what is bothering me ... will think more.

            regards, tom lane