Re: Possibly slow query - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Peter Darley
Subject Re: Possibly slow query
Date
List pgsql-performance
Manfred,
    Yeah, that was a typo.  It should have been ASet.Value IS NULL.
    I have considered storing the setting names by key, since I do have a
separate table with the names and a key as you suggest, but since my
application is only ~75% finished, it's still pretty important to have human
readable/editable tables.
Thanks,
Peter Darley

-----Original Message-----
From: Manfred Koizar [mailto:mkoi-pg@aon.at]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 3:06 AM
To: Peter Darley
Cc: Richard Huxton; Pgsql-Performance
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Possibly slow query

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:16:25 -0800, "Peter Darley"
<pdarley@kinesis-cem.com> wrote:
>SELECT User_ID
>FROM Assignments A NATURAL LEFT JOIN (SELECT * FROM Assignment_Settings
>WHERE Setting='Status') ASet
>WHERE A.User_ID IS NOT NULL
>    AND ASet.Assignment_ID IS NULL
>GROUP BY User_ID;

"ASet.Assignment_ID IS NULL" and "value IS NULL" as you had in your
original post don't necessarily result in the same set of rows.

SELECT DISTINCT a.User_ID
  FROM Assignments a
       LEFT JOIN Assignment_Settings s
              ON (a.Assignment_ID=s.Assignment_ID
              AND s.Setting='Status')
 WHERE a.User_ID IS NOT NULL
   AND s.Value IS NULL;

Note how the join condition can contain subexpressions that only depend
on columns from one table.

BTW,
|neo=# \d assignment_settings
| [...]
| setting               | character varying(250) | not null
| [...]
|    [...]
|    "assignment_settings_assignment_id_setting" unique, btree
(assignment_id, setting)

storing the setting names in their own table and referencing them by id
might speed up some queries (and slow down others).  Certainly worth a
try ...

Servus
 Manfred