Re: Index not being used in MAX function (7.2.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From listrec
Subject Re: Index not being used in MAX function (7.2.3)
Date
List pgsql-general
I think this is a wonderful idea. I often wondered why max(column) makes a
full table scan.

B.T.W.: If your max column is indexed, use

select column from table order by column desc limit 1

which gives you the maximum value in no time at all.

Detlef

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]Im Auftrag von Chris Gamache
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2003 17:44
An: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Betreff: Re: [GENERAL] Index not being used in MAX function (7.2.3)

Wouldn't it make sense to optimize max() and min() for indexed columns? I
don't
know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but would it be possible to create an
aggregate (o_max, o_min) to make the query planner treat it differently from
other aggregates? IMO, (if possible...) this would be a more elegant
solution
than SQL'ing around the "feature". If it is possible, it might be a nifty
contrib module, poised for inclusion in the production code. Any
takers/thoughts? :)

CG