Re: Active connections are terminated because of small wal_sender_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From AYahorau@ibagroup.eu
Subject Re: Active connections are terminated because of small wal_sender_timeout
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Everyone!

 I do not think anybody thinks this is a bug.  Setting wal_sender_timeout
> too small is a configuration mistake.

I don't understand why it is a mistake. 1second is acceptable value for wal_sender_timeout.
Moreover the behaviour contradicts with the official description for wal_sender_timeout:
Terminate replication connections that are inactive longer than the specified number of milliseconds.

First  of all  the connection between the master and standby  was good in my example. The problem was in keepalive message processing (because of busy standby server).
So, here 2 variants are possible:
1). Inappropriate keepalive message processing which contradicts with wal_sender_timeout description.

2) Incorrect description of wal_sender_timeout parameter in the documentation.

> Yeah. I don't see any bug here. Please note that it can be also a problem to set up a too high value in some configuration setups. The lack of flexibility in this area is why wal_sender_timeout has been switch to be
> user-settable in v12. In short you can configure it in the connection string to enforce a custom value per standby.
Thanks for this announcement, This enhancement looks very useful.

Best regards,
Andrei Yahorau