Re: Protection of intellectual property (Schema & SQL code) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wsheldah@lexmark.com
Subject Re: Protection of intellectual property (Schema & SQL code)
Date
List pgsql-general
I may well be wrong, but I don't think anything I proposed would make the
application any harder to use or administer for the original user. The
database would be normal, no reason not to use standard procedures to
backup and restore it. The front-end would be binary, which only means the
customer wouldn't be able to maintain and extend it themselves. That might
not be acceptable just for that reason, but it's a LONG ways from
installing a back door or remote off switch. All it would do is make it
obvious that this was a product of A Better Company through the names
used... which as I said probably wouldn't do all that much to prevent
copying, truth be told. I suppose the copy-protection on the front end
could be problematic, depending on what's used; I don't recommend anything
that would unduly hinder backups and restores either.

OTOH, there's the question of whether you're trying to market the same
product to dozens of companies, or just developing a custom app. for one
customer. If you're developing a custom app., you could just charge for the
time it takes you to develop it, let them share it with their friends, just
make sure the app has contact info so other users can hire you to enhance
or customize it for them. And at this point I'm NOT talking about just
renaming objects, this is instead of the other proposal.

Wes
P.S. I apologize for the top quoting....

Jason Earl <jason.earl@simplot.com>@xanadu.simplot.com> on 02/21/2002
05:30:44 PM

Sent by:  Jason Earl <earlj@xanadu.simplot.com>