Re: SELECT's take a long time compared to other DBMS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Patrick Hatcher
Subject Re: SELECT's take a long time compared to other DBMS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Relaxin,
I can't remember during this thread if you said you were using ODBC or not.
If you are, then your problem is with the ODBC driver.  You will need to
check the Declare/Fetch box or you will definitely bring back the entire
recordset.  For small a small recordset this is not a problem, but the
larger the recordset the slower the data is return to the client.  I played
around with the cache size on the driver and found a value between 100 to
200 provided good results.

HTH
Patrick Hatcher

                    "Relaxin" <noname@spam.com>

                    Sent by:                           To:     pgsql-performance@postgresql.org

                    pgsql-performance-owner@post       cc:

                    gresql.org                         Subject:     Re: [PERFORM] SELECT's take a long time compared to
otherDBMS

                    09/04/2003 07:13 PM

Thank you Christopher.

> Change fsync to true (you want your data to survive, right?) and
> increase shared buffers to something that represents ~10% of your
> system memory, in blocks of 8K.

I turned it off just in the hope that things would run faster.

> None of this is likely to substantially change the result of that one
> query, however, and it seems quite likely that it is because
> PostgreSQL is honestly returning the whole result set of ~100K rows at
> once, whereas the other DBMSes are probably using cursors to return
> only the few rows of the result that you actually looked at.

Finally, someone who will actually assume/admit that it is returning the
entire result set to the client.
Where as other DBMS manage the records at the server.

I hope PG could fix/enhance this issue.

There are several issues that's stopping our company from going with PG
(with paid support, if available), but this seems to big the one at the top
of the list.

The next one is the handling of BLOBS.  PG handles them like no other
system
I have ever come across.

After that is a native Windows port, but we would deal cygwin (for a very
little while) if these other issues were handled.

Thanks

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, "Relaxin" <noname@spam.com>
wrote:
> >> Have you changed any of the settings yet in postgresql.conf,
> >> specifically the shared_buffers setting?
> >
> > fsync = false
> > tcpip_socket = true
> > shared_buffers = 128
>
> Change fsync to true (you want your data to survive, right?) and
> increase shared buffers to something that represents ~10% of your
> system memory, in blocks of 8K.
>
> So, if you have 512MB of RAM, then the total blocks is 65536, and it
> would likely be reasonable to increase shared_buffers to 1/10 of that,
> or about 6500.
>
> What is the value of effective_cache_size?  That should probably be
> increased a whole lot, too.  If you are mainly just running the
> database on your system, then it would be reasonable to set it to most
> of memory, or
>   (* 1/2 (/ (* 512 1024 1024) 8192))
> 32768.
>
> None of this is likely to substantially change the result of that one
> query, however, and it seems quite likely that it is because
> PostgreSQL is honestly returning the whole result set of ~100K rows at
> once, whereas the other DBMSes are probably using cursors to return
> only the few rows of the result that you actually looked at.
> --
> "cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html
> Rules of  the Evil Overlord #14. "The  hero is not entitled  to a last
> kiss, a last cigarette, or any other form of last request."
> <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend