Re: MS-Access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wsheldah@lexmark.com
Subject Re: MS-Access
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Aksels,

When you 'link' or 'attach' the postgres table in access, there should be
an option to tell access which column(s) make up a unique index, typically
the same as the primary key in postgres. If you do that, Access will take
advantage of it and it should help you quite a bit.

Good luck,

Wes Sheldahl

Axel@Spallek.ws (Axel Spallek)@postgresql.org on 02/14/2003 04:28:22 AM

Sent by:    pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

To:    and@gryffindor.spallek.lan, pgsql-general@postgresql.org,
       Problem@gryffindor.spallek.lan, rule@gryffindor.spallek.lan,
       Timestamp@gryffindor.spallek.lan, update@gryffindor.spallek.lan,
       view@gryffindor.spallek.lan, with@gryffindor.spallek.lan
cc:
Subject:    [GENERAL] MS-Access

Hi.
I have a Problem with a view of Postgres in Access. I defined some rules to
edit 2 of the fields of the view. In pgAdmin with update it works fine.
In Access I get a write-conflict with the option to cancel or put in
clipboard.

Why is that?

I searched the internet and found some text telling me to put in a
timestamp-field in that table. What should that do? I have several
timestamp-fields in my tables and access behaves not different.
I think they mean a timestampfield that is changed by the postgres-server
each time the data changes.
One document in the MS-Knowledge base said, that the primary key and that
timestampfield have to have an unique index (create unique index to
auftraege (auftragsnr,tsfield);)
And the really want to believe me, access is intelligent enough to realize
that unique index and to use it instead of comparing each field?

If that is so, do I have to create such an index-field for my view or is it
enough to have auftragsnr and tsfield from auftraege in my view.

How do I create a rule, that changes the timestamp-field each time a
table-entry is changed?
The following does not work, because it is recursive:

create rule test on update to auftraege do update auftraege set tsfield =
current_timestamp where auftragsnr = new.auftragsnr;

Help!

Aksels