still sorting and casting problems - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From juerg.rietmann@pup.ch
Subject still sorting and casting problems
Date
Re: still sorting and casting problems  (Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello there

Unfortunately, I can't change the fieldtype that easy because other
applications use the date as char(10) field as well.

I need to sort the query by the log_date desc (log_date is char(10)). I
tried the following without success :

select id, log_date from userlog order by cast (log_date as date) desc

select id, log_date from userlog order by date(log_date) desc

Please help and thank's in advance ... jr

PFISTER + PARTNER, SYSTEM - ENGINEERING AG
Juerg Rietmann
Grundstrasse 22a
6343 Rotkreuz
Switzerland