Re: how to cast this ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: how to cast this ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 10:22, juerg.rietmann@pup.ch wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I have a db table with two char fields :
>
> log_date char(10)
> log_time char(8)
>
> I added a new field log_timestamp of type timestamptz
>
> How do I take the data from log_date and log_time and put it into
> log_timestamp ?
>
> update log set log_timestamp = cast (log_date as timestamp) || cast
> (log_time as timestamp)
>
> is not working.

I don't know what format you have your dates and times in, but maybe
this will work:
 CAST (log_date || ' ' || log_time) AS TIMESTAMP

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous      man his thoughts;
andlet him return unto the LORD,      and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for      he will abundantly
pardon."         Isaiah 55:7