query not working with JDBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Jeffrey A Cheak
Subject query not working with JDBC driver
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on a little problem with what may be the JDBC driver or that I
don't fully understand the SQL syntax.  I am connecting to the PostGreSQL
database with the JDBC Driver for PostGreSQL.  When I run the following
command, I get this:

(java code) :
 String query = "SELECT version( )";
ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery(query);

(output from standard output) :
 Column Returned PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta5 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC
gcc.exe (GCC) 3.3.1 (mingw special 20030804-1)

I assume that the output is a good sign...meaning I am connected to the
database and can "communicate" with it.  Although, when I try to do a
simple SQL query on a table, I get an error.  The table "cities" does
exist, because I can see it when I use pgAdminIII, in addition, when I use
pgAdminIII, I am able to click on the SQL query icon(bring up a new window)
and perform the simple SQL query from there.

(java code):
String query = "SELECT * FROM cities";
ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery(query);

(output from standard output):
Error somewhere in the query: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: relation
"cities" does not exist

If anyone could help shed some light on this I would be very thankful.
Again, I apologize if this is not the best place to post this question.(I'm
not sure what category it best falls under)

Thank you all again and kind regards,
Jeffrey

for such purpose.