Re: Vacuum full error No one parent tuple - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Patrick Hatcher
Subject Re: Vacuum full error No one parent tuple
Date
List pgsql-novice
thank you

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-422-1610 office
HatcherPT - AIM

                    Tom Lane
                    <tgl@sss.pgh.p       To:     "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com>
                    a.us>                cc:     pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
                                         Subject:     Re: [NOVICE] Vacuum full error No one parent tuple
                    12/04/2002
                    12:25 PM

"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> process has creeped up to about 20 mins.  So I tried a Vacuum Full
Analyze.
> The process stops and I get an error: No one parent tuple was found.

This is a known bug in 7.2 --- IIRC, vacuum can get confused by some
situations involving rollback after SELECT FOR UPDATE.  It's pretty
harmless other than preventing you from using VACUUM FULL.

You can update to 7.3 to get the fix, or I think that just doing a
dummy SELECT * FOR UPDATE will clear the condition.

7.2.3 fixes some but not all cases of this, so an update to 7.2.3
might or might not help.

                               regards, tom lane