Re: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance

pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 04/19/2005 11:10:22 AM:

> What is 'multiple initiators' used for in the real world?

I asked this same question and got an answer off list:  Somebody said their
SAN hardware used multiple initiators.  I would try to check the archives
for you, but this thread is becoming more of a rope.

Multiple initiators means multiple sources on the bus issuing I/O
instructions to the drives.  In theory you can have two computers on the
same SCSI bus issuing I/O requests to the same drive, or to anything else
on the bus, but I've never seen this implemented.  Others have noted this
feature as being a big deal, so somebody is benefiting from it.

Rick