Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lowell.Hought@faa.gov
Subject Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date
List pgsql-general

Both dig and nslookup are fast on all machines.  'psql' is fast on all machines, as long as I am using the version compiled with version 7.2.  It is only 'psql' compiled with version 8.0 that is slow.  I don't think DNS is the problem, but rather the way psql in version 8.0 attempts to get the DNS info.  My Linux kernal version is 2.4.18.

"WELTY, RICHARD" <richard.welty@bankofamerica.com>

Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

08/04/2005 03:46 PM

Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
cc
Subject
Re: [GENERAL] DNS vs /etc/hosts

nslookup isn't the easiest tool for use in diagnosing dns problems
as it goes through the whole messy nsswitch process, and doesn't
readily isolate much of anything.

the dig command focuses on dns only, skips nsswitch altogether,
and lets you rule dns problems in or out in one swell foop. if
dig is fast and nslookup is slow, then you need to examine
/etc/nsswitch for foulups.

richard