Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Youngblood
Subject Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date
List pgsql-general

On Aug 4, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Lowell.Hought@faa.gov wrote:

Both dig and nslookup are fast on all machines.  'psql' is fast on all machines, as long as I am using the version compiled with version 7.2.  It is only 'psql' compiled with version 8.0 that is slow.  I don't think DNS is the problem, but rather the way psql in version 8.0 attempts to get the DNS info.  My Linux kernal version is 2.4.18.

Silly question.

Could the version of psql from 8.0 be linked against readline, and it's reading in and storing in memory some of the information it needs to have cached in order to provide the tab-completion feature? And, 7.2 is not?

I've seen some delays with both mysql and pgsql when readline libraries are involved on databases with lots of tables and fields in them.

Just a thought.
Greg