furiously yours - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From
Subject furiously yours
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello again,

I've been playing around with different versions of postgresql, I noticed t=
hat if I install the rpms of postgresql7.1 the sorting order become the way=
 I want it. other versions including 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 are similar to version=
 7.0.3 where the sorting is different then 7.1.=20
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that 7.1 rpms where com=
piled on a machine with LC_ALL=3DC and this is why it does the sorting diff=
erently, now for me to be able to have a newer version that sorts things th=
ey way I want them I have to install the srpms and configure, then install =
on my machine, I tried it with a couple of versions and it worked. I also t=
ried to change the LC_ALL variable before runing initdb on the version 7.0.=
3 I have it did not work.
my question is the following: is it customary to have this kind of problems=
 with rpms built on different machines?!? Is it better to always install th=
e srpms to be able to keep consistency?!? It is a bit anoying to do install=
ation from srpms, because you will have to change the paths and startup opt=
ions on the machine manually, but I can not see any other way?!?

thanks,
Rony.