Re: Forward zeroing of pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Forward zeroing of pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote

> This is already true at the page level: when advancing into a new page
> we zero it instead of reading anything from disk.  I am thinking of
> adding code to StartupCLOG to zero the remaining portion of the
> "current" page too.
>
> Thoughts?

That sounds like the right thing to do. IIRC that means we do it once at the
very end of recovery, which is quick as well as safe.

This is important for point-in-time recovery also, since there would always
be clog entries ahead of the recovery target.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs