Re: Elocution - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jason Hihn
Subject Re: Elocution
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
The answer is simple really. Fingers. When something goes wrong fingers turn
into blame compasses. At my two previous jobs and my current one, immunity
of finger pointing was the #1 reason for sticking with something expensive.
This pointing applies in two directions: to managers and to vendors.

If a manager keeps the tanks, and the M1A2 dies in the middle of a
battlefield, they can say, "well we had an acceptable track record with the
M1A1, so it wasn't a crazy idea." Others will follow the reasoning (assuming
the M1A2 has similar design criteria and didn't end up a being a VW beetle)
Reason will prevail, and he will keep his job. If a manager replaces systems
with new ones, he had better justify it on very solid grounds.  If it fails,
he gets canned, the company suffers, fire and brim stone, egg on the face,
etc. Plain and simple. Since the business is used to "buying tanks" and
tanks have always worked for them so far, staying with tanks is a safe move.
They know the fuel consumption and repair rates. The staff is trained on
tanks. Switching to Hyundias is very risky. (Sorry for the cheap shot, but
more on this later.)

When things go wrong in an immediate nature, the manager can call the vendor
and get support. While this is largely true with most important open-source
products today, it seems not as good. The people who support don't always
own the code, and there is no guarantee that the fix/hack will make it into
the source tree, no matter how benevolent the dictator. Maybe new patches
need to be developed and applied for the next version. Also, trying to
support things yourself is costly, and usually incomplete. (Though as a
hacker, I prefer doing it myself!)

Back to the Hyundai remark. OSS is inexpensive, light, stable and while
not-new, the image has been only recently grown to the point that people are
very familiar with the product line. (Elantra, Tiburon, Santa Fe)->(Linux,
Apache, MySQL*) (*by popularity)

Lastly, when everyone else is driving M1A1's, would you feel safe on the
information super-highway even though you saved $989,999?  I'd be wondering
about the situation I put myself in, and what I was smoking when I did.
Yeah, I've got a lot more money than everyone else to spend now, but it
doesn't do you any good if you're a pancake on the information
super-highway.

Fortunately, all those reasons are merely psychological - not technical -
and attitudes will/can change. It's not even MS FUD too. When I told my
current boss about PostgreSQL, and it being free, he asked: "What's wrong
with it? How can it be free?" To which I answered: "Well you can pay for it
if you want." It didn't have the same effect. (Note to self: Set up an S
corp., charge for PostgreSQL disks, manuals and 30-day installation support,
$10000 (Starbucks effect))  Eventually people will see the Hyundias running
circles around the tanks, and people will feel a bit safer about buying one.