Re: Elocution - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: Elocution
Date
Re: Elocution  (Jason Hihn <jhihn@paytimepayroll.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Here's the thing: I agree 100% with everything you say, all of it. And
yet, right now in the area of operating systems, corporations are
retiring their tanks (proprietary UNIX) in favour of Hyundi (Linux).
What gives? Something has changed, and it is something we should look
very closely at.

My guess as to what as changed is that some of the tank-makers have
abandoned the field and are now marketing the Hyundi as a Humvee (to
further complicate the analogy).  IBM primarily, but also Dell, Compaq
and even Sun (!!?!?! Better Red than Dead, perhaps?) have given Linux
the stamp of corporate "acceptability" and that has been what put it
over the top.

So, who is going to be our IBM? I thought Red Hat might be it, but they
are too dependant on Oracle right now to risk offending them. IBM itself
already has two databases, it is hard to imagine them taking on another
one (of course, they already had a couple operating systems before
taking on Linux). HP/Compaq is a possibility. But really, it will take a
company with existing credibility and accounts to really push things
over the top.

Here's the bad news again though: In the Linux/Apache case, IBM took the
OSS product with the most groundswell momentum and surfed the wave. They
did not make the wave themselves, they just amplified it. In the db
sphere, the groundswell product is not pgsql unfortunately.

That's my thesis anyways. Thoughts?

--
       __
      /