Re: pgadmin3 query tools - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From efesar
Subject Re: pgadmin3 query tools
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
> > Sadly,  I'm suffering from a complete lack of desire
> > concerning a query
> > builder... ;-)
>
> No problem, I just don't want 2 seperate query tools.
>
> Keith, what are your thoughts?

Dave,

I have a lot so I'm going to number these.

1. I just got time to try this build. There is a new bug where if it can't
connect to the server it goes into an infinite loop (ok, ok, ok, ok, etc. --
for instance, if the server is not running). Starting the server does not
help, you have to kill the PGA3 process. Then restart PGA3.

2. Andreas, thank you for fleshing out the tree. I believe we can use that
as a cache. Your additions look great so far. Can you let us know which tree
items are missing? It looks like foreign keys might be missing. Languages,
functions, operators. We also seem to be missing some of the system objects
(such as pg_toast, pg_catalog).

3. Andreas' query tool is similar to the old one from PGA2 ... type the
query and it runs. I think that's useful for now.

4. However, I would like to continue to code my Query Builder if that's okay
with the both of you. I've done quite a bit of work on it. It's visual, and
has more functionality and usefulness than the MS Query tool. Mine will
allow unions and extremely complex queries. What we can do is maybe
integrate the two at some later time so that you can type free-hand queries
into my query builder and get the result. As you know, I made the SQL text
box read only for the moment.

5. Andreas, I am REALLY REALLY really happy that you used a structured style
for SQL reconstruction. PGA2 was unreadable because it was all on one line.
But you might consider using a fixed font so that the tabs line up.

6. Please let me know when this is in CVS. I imagine it will be hard to
reconcile the two builds. Andreas did a lot of work and I imagine he started
before the memory leak fix.

So those are my thoughts.

-Keith