RE: OID Implicit limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject RE: OID Implicit limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >         Reading the documentation, I see that OIDs are unique through
the
> > whole database.
> >         But since OIDs are int4, does that limit the number of rows I
can
> > have in a database to 2^32 = 4 billion ?
>
> Yep.
>
> Thanks for the answer - although that concerns me a bit.
> Maybe I could recompile it setting oid to int64 type...

If that really concerns you, then the rest of the hackers list I think would
be very interested in hearing of a real-world database with more than 4
billion rows/inserts/deletes.

Apparently it is somewhat more complicated than just 'recompiling as an
int64' to change this.  I believe that patches are currently being made to
facilitate a future move towards 64bit OIDs, but I am not certain of the
status.

Chris