RE: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: Shouldn't flush dirty buffers at shutdown ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

You are right but we could hardly expect the completeness
of indexes in case of system crash because indexes are out
of transactional control currently. What surprized me was that
such problems could easily occur even in case of graceful
shutdown of postmaster.
> I think you have identified a problem that needs
> a more general solution: we need to be robust in the case that
> an index entry is on disk that points to a tuple that never made
> it to disk.

Probably an index entry that points to a non-existent heap
block doesn't cause a problem immediately because heap_
fetch() ignores UNUSED heap blocks.
However it will not be long before the heap block is filled with
another tuple. heap_insert/update() could hardly check that
the inserting heap block is already pointed from some index
entry.

There could be another case which I came across while
testing vacuum abort. i.e,index_delete() wasn't flushed while
the corresponding heap block is cleaned(set to UNUSED)
and flushed.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp