R: Per-server univocal identifier - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Giampaolo Tomassoni
Subject R: Per-server univocal identifier
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> ...omissis...
>
> Perhaps inet_server_addr() and inet_server_port() would answer.  These
> aren't super-useful on local connections, however.

No, infact. Mine are local cons...

> How "immutable" do you want it to be exactly?  The system_identifier
> embedded in pg_control might be interesting if you want something that
> will change at initdb.

The same immutability of a 'host -f' would be fine to me.

> I don't think there's a way to look at that from
> SQL but you could write a C function to access it.

I would prefer to avoid writing an external module: that way I would have to put more administration effort when
upgradingthe postgres installation.

Well, I'll resort probably to put a unique value in a table.

Or... Can I put a custom variable in pgsql.conf?

Giampaolo Tomassoni - IT Consultant
Piazza VIII Aprile 1948, 4
I-53044 Chiusi (SI) - Italy
Ph: +39-0578-21100