Re: Per-server univocal identifier - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Per-server univocal identifier
Date
R: Per-server univocal identifier  ("Giampaolo Tomassoni" <g.tomassoni@libero.it>)
List pgsql-hackers
I assume by 'univocal' you mean unequivocal.

Can you set it up in a table per server? or in a file? or would you
rather use a guuid?

And how is this to be made available?

And is it to be unique per machine, or per cluster (since you can have
many postgresql clusters on one machine).

cheers

andrew

Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

>Dears,
>
>I'm looking for a way to univocally identify the server on which a sql function or statement is running. My idea would
besomething close to the value returned by a 'host -f' under linux: the FQDN of the host, but even a serial code or a
numberwould be fine to me. It needs only to be immutable, I guess.

>I know there is something suitable under Oracle and, even worse, under mysql...
>
>The purpose is mostly related to a light replication problem I have, in which I need to 'emulate' a multi-master
replicationon a table.

>I placed a question on the IRC list and I found a couple of unreplied messages asking the same thing in the
pgsql-generallist.