Logical replication stuck in catchup state - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan shmidt
Subject Logical replication stuck in catchup state
Date
Re: Logical replication stuck in catchup state  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Logical replication stuck in catchup state  (Dan shmidt <dshmidt@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

We have a setup in which there are several master nodes replicating to a single slave/backup node. We are using Postgres 11.4.
Recently, one of the nodes seems to be stuck and stopped replicating.
I did some basic troubleshooting and couldn't find the root cause for that.

On one hand:
  - the replication slot does seem to be active according to pg_replication_slots (Sorry no screenshot)
  - on slave node it seems that last_msg_receipt_time is updating on pg_stat_subscription

On the other hand:
 - on the slave node: received_lsn keeps pointing on the same wal segment (pg_stat_subscription)
 - redo_lsn - restart_lsn shows ~20GB lag

According to logs on the master it seems that the sender hits a timeout, when trying to increase the wal_sender_timeout even to 0 (no timeout) - it doesn't have any effect. On the other hand, the  last_msg_receipt_time is updated. How is that possible?

Screenshots attached. The stuck subscription/replication slot is the one ending with "53db6". On images with more than one row - it's the second one.

Any suggestions on what may be the root cause or how to continue debugging?
Appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Dan.

Attachment