RE: question on SELECT using LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will Fitzgerald
Subject RE: question on SELECT using LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
The thing is, this is the wrong thing to do. The relational model makes it
easy to define 'lists' or 'sets.' Table 2 should have:

table2
Name  group
joe   group1
mark  group2
joe   group3
linda group3

The table is now just what you want: it shows the groups each person is a
member of. So:

SELECT name, group FROM table2 ORDER BY name;

Will